10 tips on how to eat if you want to reduce your cholesterol
Is your cholesterol is high and you want to reduce it? Not surprisingly, these days many people have this problem. Here are 10 tips that you can start following today.
- Instead of hot dogs and hamburgers, salami and mayonnaise, make a delicious sandwich using whole grain bread, lean turkey and lots of vegetables. All burgers, mayonnaise, hot dogs and salami are full of unhealthy fats and cholesterol.
- Fish such as salmon is very good. Look for wild red salmon slices. This fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids (good fats). Another great omega-3 fat source is flaxseed.
- Avoid trans fats! Not only do they raise your bad cholesterol, but they reduce your good cholesterol! Avoid foods such products as margarine and processed foods containing soybean oil.
- Eat nuts! Walnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts, cashew, pecan nuts are the best foods for those with high cholesterol levels.
- Limit the number of desserts. Choose fresh fruit and low-fat yogurt.
- Eat foods that are high in fiber like, wholegrain bread, oats, fruits, vegetables, etc.
- Use grill. If you’ve decided to eat a steak or a burger, prepare it on the grill. Make sure you use lean meat.
- Find a new salad condiment. Most of the ones that you can buy in stores are too full of trans-fat and cholesterol. Olive oil is a great dressing for your salad. A bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice is another great option.
- You can safely eat fresh fruits and vegetables. They do not contain cholesterol, but they are rich in nutrients and a variety of antioxidants. Here are some examples: green peas, broccoli, apples, oranges, mangoes, papayas, pineapples, tomatoes, garlic, onions, spinach, bananas, blueberries, kiwi, etc.
- Avoid fast food such as fries or any other fried food. These dishes will raise your cholesterol to the sky. So keep away from them.