What products to eat to keep your teeth healthy?
Everyone knows how important it is to brush your teeth at least twice a day, floss and use a mouth rinse. Together these measures help to reduce the amount of unwanted bacteria in the mouth. Another important factor for proper mouth hygiene is the food that we eat. Here are several well-known foods to consider adding to your diet if you want to have a healthy smile:
1. Water. Water helps to maintain the amount of saliva in the mouth. Saliva plays an important role because it contains proteins, minerals, enzymes, and acids neutralizing harmful effects to your teeth. In addition, water is a “natural” way to clean your mouth, especially after drinking coffee, carbonated drinks and red wine. It helps prevent plaque pigment stains on the teeth too. During the day you should drink at least two liters of water. Not only your teeth but also all your body will be grateful.
2. Milk. It Milk is very beneficial for human bones. The researchers say that it is the same important to dental health too. It is recommended to drink skimmed milk to get enough amount of calcium. Do not forget other useful dairy products, like cheese. It contains large amounts of calcium and phosphate. These elements help to balance the pH of the oral cavity, protect and rebuild tooth enamel, and they are also involved in the production of saliva.
3. Green tea. Green tea contains beneficial antioxidants. In addition, some studies that suggest that tea may reduce caries and periodontal diseases. The majority of green tea contains fluoride, which protects tooth enamel from decay. Green tea also helps to stop the growth of bacteria in the mouth. You may have already noticed another great feature of green tea – it helps to fight bad breath. It is advised to drink green tea without sugar after each meal.
4. Salmon. Fish is a great source of vitamin D. Make sure you choose oily fish. Vitamin D is essential for your body to absorb calcium.
5. Oranges. Citrus fruits are one of best vitamin C sources. Vitamin C helps improve blood vessels and connective tissues. It also protects gums from various diseases and fight inflammation. If you do not like citrus fruits, try eating black currants.
6. Strawberries. As for oranges, strawberries are rich in vitamin C. In addition, it improves the health of your mouth and gums. Strawberries also work as natural “bleach”. It is not harmful and it can make your teeth whiter in few days!